Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Getting Over That First Hill

I tell ya....every time I get ready to run there are two things that are always the hardest hills to get over for me
  • The 1st continuous five minutes of running, and
  • The 1st mile

I swear those are my biggest hurdles out the gate in getting my run groove on!

What about your hills?

How do you push past them?

Me.....I just zone in on my music and pray to hit 4:59min and 1.59km fast LOLGotta get over that hump! :o)


Since running my first 5K (and now looking at less than thirty days to my first 10K) I have set the following goals:

  • To run a minimum of 3 miles every time (except during recovery runs)
  • When on the treadmill to stay at a 2% incline
  • Run at least 4 miles once a week (adding on until 6mi)

Thus far I have done all three since last week when I established my goals...now lets see if I can run over 4 miles this week....um 4.5 anyone? lol

I believe those are comfortable challenges for myself right now, but know when not to go too hard (at least I like to think I am that smart).

Hope everyone is getting some good running time in!

5 comments:

  1. My first hurdle was running on the treadmill for one minute straight. I finally did it and I have actually stopped concentrating so much on running and started switching up my workout. My shin splints were killing me and the dr. told me I need to alternate exercises. So that's where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...definitely mental. I try to concentrate on my music or whatever is on TV. I know if I set out to run 4 miles on the treadmill I'm gonna be on there for 42 - 44 minutes. It's daunting when you think about it like that. But I just hate running on the treadmill, so it is a challenge for me every time. I'll be glad when we can get back outside on a regular basis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On days when I really don't want to run are the days I mix it up the most, to keep myself focused and entertained - I run mini sprints and then have recovery pace, so that I vary my speed. On the treadmill, I'd vary the incline to simulate the road and also just change up what muscles I'm using. Worst case scenario, I blast music into my ears that is my running tempo and just try not to think! Hahahaha!

    Sounds like you are doing well, with some great and realistic goals. That's exactly how a runner stays uninjured. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl That first five minutes is a TRIP! LOL.

    I have a hard time running when I REALLY don't want to! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. To this day I still battle through the first MINUTE, especially after a long, exhausting day at work. I push through rough patches by singing [croaking] out loud [or lip syncing if I'm at the gym]. I try to keep my face/body as relaxed as possible and allow my mind and body to work with and not against each other.

    I'm really excited to follow your progress. You're doing an awesome job, chica! Thanks for reading my blog. I really appreciate your comments. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete